How an electrical fire can affect your Dallas home.
Inspect your property for faulty wiring, shorts, and loose wires that could increase susceptibility to electrical fire.
Electrical Fires 101 - how they can affect your Dallas HomeWhile there are many causes for fires in the home, electrical fires are a particularly difficult type to grapple with. In fact, the Electrical Safety Foundation International reports that around 51,000 of fires that take place on residential properties are electrical. These fires cause over 1,400 injuries, 500 deaths, and roughly $1.3 billion in damage to your property. To ensure that electrical fires do not become a big issue in your Dallas home, the SERVPRO experts advise implementing the following safety strategies:
• Inspect your property for faulty wiring, shorts, and loose wires that could increase susceptibility to electrical fire. When you note any issues, call a certified electrician to fix them. Also be sure to make use of safety covers on any outlet that a child has access to.
• Make sure that a smoke detector is installed on each level of your home. Also be sure that the smoke detectors are functioning properly.
• Turn off any electrical equipment that produces an unusual spark, smell, or sound.
• Replace or repair frayed, cracked, or loose cords. Do not place your cords in high traffic regions of the home. Also refrain from placing them under rugs or carpets.
• Make use of surge protectors to keep your appliances safe.
• Keep flammables stored far from your electrical appliances.
• Have an ark fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) installed in the house. These devices monitor circuits to assess any dangerous arcing conditions.
• Do not allow children to climb any trees located near a power line.
Ask the following questions to ensure that your smoke alarms are functioning effectively:
• Did you test them?
• Are they working properly?
• Are there enough alarms in the home?
Switches and Outlets
Ask the following questions to ensure that your switches and outlets are functioning effectively:
• Do the plugs fit correctly?
• Are they warm to the touch?
• Do they work properly?
• Do they make any unusual sounds? (sizzling, buzzing, or crackling)
Lamps and Appliances
• Are you using the right bulbs?
• Do you use space heaters safely?
• Are appliance cords protected from damage?
Practicing effective prevention measures is the key to ensuring that your home and family are safe in the face of electrical fires and shock. In the event that your property is subjected to damage generated by an electrical fire, Call your local SERVPRO of Southeast Dallas (972) 227-0800. They can make it, "Like it never even happened."