What Should You do if Flooding Occurs in your Dallas Home?
SERVPRO’S Restoration Professionals Give Tips on Handling Flood Damage in Dallas
As most Texas residents now realize, almost all of the state is susceptible to massive tropical storms and powerful hurricanes pulling up northwest from the Gulf of Mexico. In a matter of just a short time, thousands of houses can find themselves dealing with an unbelievable volume of water. While this does not always mean that houses become submerged under raging flood waters, it could very easily indicate many homes that are in dire need of water evacuation from their lowest floors of their houses.
While seemingly in comparison to those that have had to deal with losing their entire home, localized flood damage to Dallas homes following torrential storms and hurricanes that are losing steam might seem less dramatic. However, when it is your home and your things that are becoming damaged, there is no higher priority in your mind than fixing the damages and getting your house back to being its usual, dry self.
SERVPRO is the Trusted Choice for Dallas Water Damage Restoration
Knowing whom you can trust at a time like this can prove to help you out in the long run. You want professionalism, experience and you want people to take care of the clean up quickly and efficiently. That is the kind of service that our SERVPRO team has always offered every client, along with the assurance that your satisfaction is among the highest of our priorities. This commitment to you begins the moment that we arrive at your house.
We assess the extent of the damage, allowing us to determine the tools and equipment necessary for our water removal efforts. A quick assessment ensures that it is not only done the fastest that it can be, but that we are utilizing our time the most efficiently, so we can move on to other restoration efforts right away. After we have pumped out the water, our SERVPRO technicians begin work on drying the affected area and cleaning/disinfecting the contents of the room to restore them.
Summer is a wonderful season, but it often comes with rainfall and serious Dallas area storms that can potentially significantly damage structures, such as homes. Any disaster involving water can cause issues not only on the exterior, but in the interior of the home as well. Once the storm has passed, it is crucial that you know what you should do, and what you should avoid doing. The following is a list of tips that you can use as a guide when you are trying to restore damage to your property.
Things you can do Immediately After Flood Damage in Dallas
- Take pictures of the damage and present them to your insurance agent immediately.
- Make sure that you stay safe while you are checking for damage. Look out for power lines that have fallen down and be sure not to walk in water that may be electrically charged.
- Examine the plumbing on the interior and exterior of the structure. Shut off the water supply at the main source, if you need to do so. If you see pipe damage, contact a professional.
- Disconnect any appliances that may have been exposed to water; do this immediately. Shut off the main power source, and if there are any potentially damaged electrical wires, contact an electrician.
- Look for missing shingles on your roof. However, avoid trying to repair the roof yourself, as you would risk injury and may cause even more damage. Contact a professional contractor.
- If there is flooding, contact a professional restoration company, such as SERVPRO of Southeast Dallas County, as soon as possible. They will have qualified technicians who possess the required knowledge and tools to properly handle Dallas area flooding damage.
- Do not try to move large trees that have fallen on your own; contact a professional to do this.
- If your vehicle is damaged, cover broken windows. Make a written list of the damaged items in the car, and notify your insurance agent.
- Be aware that some companies attempt to take advantage of people after natural disasters. Make sure that you only work with local contractors with good reputations that you can trust, and get a written contract that details costs and all the work to be done.
Contact your local SERVPRO Office to deal with damage from floods and storms, as well as for remediation services after house fires. They can assist in determining the extent of damage and restoring your home to its original state.
Floods might be a devastating force, but that certainly does not mean that you have to try and solve this problem on your own. Our emergency response team at SERVPRO of Southeast Dallas County are always ready to help you. Give us a call 24/7 at (972) 227-0800.
Click here for more about the city of Dallas.