If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (972) 227-0800

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Avoiding Fires from Burning Candles in Your Dallas Home

2/12/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Avoiding Fires from Burning Candles in Your Dallas Home Candles Are the Culprits Behind Dallas Fire Damaged Homes

Dallas Properties Are At Risk from Fires Causing Damage

Everyone loves the romantic glow of candles. The fragrance and ambiance that they create are like nothing else. However, you might want to think twice about lighting candles and then leave the room. Many house fires start from unattended candles, around one-third of these started in bedrooms. More than half of these fires begin because candles are set too close to flammable items. Candles should always be kept at least twelve inches from anything that can burn.
 
Additional causes of fires from candles and fire damage include someone playing with the candles. Something as simple as knocking the candle over if someone bumps a table or a pet brushing up against one is enough to spark a fire in your Dallas home. After a fire like this, you need the professional help of SERVPRO to repair and restore your home.
 
Keeping some safety tips in mind when it comes to candles is, therefore, critical.
 
Keep candles away from pets and children. Even though they might look nice on your coffee table, a wagging tail or passing child could easily tip the candle over. Keeping lighters and matches in a safe place is necessary. Lighting materials need to be stored high up and out of sight in a closet, pantry or kitchen cupboard. Children are often fascinated with fire, and you do not want to give them any temptations.
 
Using candles in the bedroom is not wise. Many candle fires begin in this room, and about half of the deaths from fires occur in the overnight hours between midnight and six. Also, make sure you are using the appropriate candle holders. Candles come in various sizes and shapes, so you need the right type of holder for each one. It is important to that you place them on surfaces that are durable and heat-resistant.
 
Once a candle burns down to two inches or less, get rid of it. Replacing a candle is a lot less costly than having to replace or repair your home. When you do need repairs from fire damage, however, the technicians at SERVPRO are the ones to call.
 
Don’t use candles during a power outage. Instead, use a battery-operated light or flashlight, as they are a lot safer. Night lights are also a lot safer than using a candle and are quite inexpensive. Remember not ever to leave candles unattended, and always follow the safety recommendations from the manufacturer.
 
If you do experience a fire, get out right away and call for help once everyone is safe. Do not ever go back into a burning home for any reason. After the fire is out, contact SERVPRO of Southeast Dallas County as soon as possible so we can assess the damages and get to work quickly. Doing so eliminates the possibility of further damage from acidic soot and water soaked home. We can be reached anytime by dialing (972) 227-0800.

Other News

View Recent Posts